Training is one of the most important activities of KVK. This Kendra conducts short duration trainings, vocational trainings on various subsidiary occupations and trainings for in-service extension personnel with an objective to improve their technical skill, modify their attitude and increase their knowledge for that particular topic.
- Short duration:Short duration trainings of 1-2 days are conducted for farmers/farm woman/youth related to various specialized disciplines. As per the fixed training schedule, these trainings are conducted on campus as well as off campus. The KVK can also arrange an off campus/special trainings on desired topics as per the requirement.
- Vocational training programmes:The main objective of these trainings is to provide sufficient knowledge and skill regarding a new entrepreneurship so that trainees can start their own business alone or collectively and generate additional income for their livelihood. The main thrust areas of these types of trainings are dairy farming mushroom cultivation, bee keeping, preservation of fruits and vegetables, tailoring and home crafts etc. These trainings are imparted to the farmers, farm woman and especially to the school dropout rural youth.
- Training programme for the in-service personnel:The main objective of these trainings is to refresh the memory and upgrade the knowledge and skill of the in-service extension functionaries by providing recent and new information regarding new techniques/new recommendations for solving different problems faced by local farmers. In-service extension personnel from agriculture department, other allied departments and field staff of different sugar mills can participate in refresher courses to improvise their technical skills. Gram Sevikas, Anganwadi workers, craft teachers of Nehru Yuva Kendra can also participate in trainings related to home science at the KVK.
- Gardener’s training course:This Kendra conducts six month long training course of gardeners which is being sponsored by National Horticultural Mission. A group of 25 trainees are given training with an objective to develop knowledge and technical skills in nursery development, horticulture, vegetable, landscaping and flower seed production so that they can develop entrepreneurship or act as service providers in horticulture, vegetable, landscaping & floriculture sectors.
- Front line demonstrations (FLDs):Various front line demonstrations on newly released crop varieties, resource conservation technologies, soil health management and integrated pest management are conducted at farmer’s field. Main emphasis is given on front line demonstrations on oilseed crops like toria, gobhi sarson, sesame and pulse crops like gram, lentil, summer moong, summer mash etc. Other demonstrations like zero tillage, bed planting, happy seeder, spring maize, leaf color chart (LCC), tensiometer, green manuring, laser levelling, proper herbicide application technology etc are also being conducted.
- On farm testing:This KVK conducts on farm trials at farmer’s field for technology assessment and refinement with regards to the location specific problems. The OFTs evolve active participation of both the scientists and farmers. As per the suggestions of the farmers and local agro-climatic conditions, the improved technology may slightly be modified to get maximum return. Various OFTs on varietal evaluation in rice, maize and okra, integrated weed management in turmeric, weed control in sugarcane + wheat intercropping, post emergence control of weeds in paddy nursery, summer moog and mash, nutrient management in high yielding basmati varieties, evaluation of date of transplating of rice varieties, fixed time LCC based N management in rice and control of Helicoverpa in gram and berseem are being conducted to solve the location specific problems.
- Farm advisory:KVK scientists keep a watch on insect pest attacks, disease incidences and weather fluctuations to provide continuous and constructive advice to the farmers. Based on the weather forecast by IMD, Pune, crop advisory is issued twice a week. Farmers visiting KVK are shown practical demonstrations and their questions and queries are attended. The KVK staff also tries to diagnose the plant samples brought by the farmers and ameliorative measures are suggested. A team of KVK experts provide solution to all types of problems related to agriculture and allied activities to the farmers during field visits or through telephone/print/electronic media.
- Special campaigns:Special campaigns on seed treatment, grain storage, rat control, soil & water testing, water saving, zero tillage, parthenium eradication, proper herbicide application technology etc. are being organized. Severe
- Special programmes/days:Special programs such as world health day on 7th April, world environment day on 5th June, breast feeding week during Ist week of August, nutrition week during Ist week of September, parthenium awareness week, agricultural technology week, world rural women day on 15th October, world food day on 17th October, women day in agriculture on 4th December, energy conservation day on 15th December etc are celebrated to create awareness among the farmers/farm women.
- Other extension activities:In addition to special campaigns/programes, Field Days, Kisan Ghosties, Exhibitions, Scientific Advisory Committee meetings etc. are being organized. Two Regional Kisan Melas are also being conducted in March and September in collaboration with Regional Research Station and Farm Advisory Service Scheme, Gurdaspur. Technical know-how is also imparted to the farmers through Radio/TV talks.